Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Street Love

Street Love by Walter Dean Myers

Stars: 3 out of 5
Genre: Love, Realistic fiction
Age group: 14 and up

This was actually one of my first Walter Dean Myers book I've read and I have to say, Myer's is quite an author.

Street Love is written in stanzas in different character's views. That is really cool to see what each character is thinking.

Street Love was so sweet in it's own way. It wasn't sappy love; it was more like boyfriend/girlfriend love. However, you can still feel the bond between Junice and Damien. I really liked that Myers made it so that they loved each other but Damien's parents hated Junice's family. Junice's family was in trouble and Junice's mother didn't like that Junice was spending time with a boy. That forbidden love caused by the parents made Damien and Junice love each other even more.

I saw how the setting effects the plot. Junice and Damien grew up in Harlem, New York. The descriptions about the setting were so vivid, I felt I was watching Junice's and Damien's love grow.

Street Love is a remarkable remake of Romeo and Juliet 21st century!