Sunday, October 5, 2008

Extras

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Stars: 4 out of 5

Genre: fiction

Age group: 10 and up


I said before that I don't like to read series or sagas of books because of something I lack: commitment. Another reason is the endings of series. I read series because I want to know what happens next but the end of a series ends everything. The last book usually makes me sad or have a too happy ever after that doesn't really belong in the series. However, Extras was different.


The ending was too happy or too sad; it was perfect. It was amazing and the right end to the Uglies series. Though it's the last book in the Uglies series, I feel like it had another identity:

a great book. Extras is it's own book because of the new main character, Aya and the end to the Uglies series because of Tally.


When I wanted another narrator or another main character, I expected Shay or David. I didn't expect a brand new character, Aya. That opens so many new doors and possibilities. Aya has her own problems and it interesting how Tally Youngblood fits in her life. That kept me on the edge of my seat reading how the world has become so different since Tally Youngblood.


Once again Westerfeld, you have used you creativity to the max. Great job!


0 comments: