Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld



Stars: 5 out of 5

Genre: Fiction

Age group: 11 and up



Specials was a delight for me to read (**spoilers ahead**). Like all the other books in this series, Specials was action-packed and had many surprises. When Zane died, it sent chills down my spine. When Dr.Cable released Tally, I gasped.



I was a bit shocked that Tally wanted to stay a Cutter. In Uglies, Tally didn't even want to become a pretty, much less a Special. In Uglies, she was willing to stay ugly for David but that all changed when she met Zane. Her love for Zane is strong though; she picked Zane over David in the end of Pretties.



Since Tally becaswitched sides, I have begun to like her a little less. I liked Tally when she was a brave ugly because she faced obstacles but got past them using her nothing. However, Specials have lightening fast reflexes and all other kinds of super powers. Still, I liked Tally aiming for her goals and getting in trouble, no matter what she was.



I feel that Shay is the fault for everything Tally blames herself for. If Shay never told Tally about Smoke, Tally would never have gotten in all that trouble. If Shay didn't turn Tally into a Special, Tally would still be with Zane and she wouldn't want Zane to turn into a Special. On the other hand, if Tally never did all that trouble, there wouldn't be an awesome, action-packed series.

I hope that in the future or in Extra, it would be narrated by Shay or Dr.Cable looking for Tally.

Scott Westerfeld, thank you.

1 comments:

readers-mom said...

Can you recommend any books for someone who loves "The Special" series and also "Death by..." series by Linda Gerber?